When I saw the challenge for this months Daring Bakers challenge I couldn’t wait to make it. A light, fluffy chiffon cake with a light pastry cream in the middle studded with fresh fruit sounded amazing! Jana of Cherry Tea Cakes was our July Daring Baker’s host and she challenged us to make Fresh Fraisiers inspired by recipes written by Elisabeth M. Prueitt and Chad Robertson in the beautiful cookbook Tartine.
Fresh Fraisiers with Strawberries, Blueberries, and Mango (adapted from Tartine Cookbook)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. butter, melted
3 large egg yolks
1/4 c. water
3 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. vanilla
1 t. lemon zest
5 large egg whites
1/4 t. cream of tartar
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line the bottom of two 8 inch pans with parchment paper. Do not grease the sides.
6. Divide the batter into the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cakes comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
7. To unmold the cakes run a knife around the sides of the pan and remove from the cake pan. Peel off the parchment paper. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Pastry Cream Filling:
1 c. low fat milk
1/2 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
2 T. cornstarch
1/4 c. sugar
2 T. unsalted butter
3/4 t. gelatin
1/2 T. water
1 c. heavy cream
1. Pour the milk, vanilla, and salt into a heavy saucepan. Place over medium heat and scald, bringing the milk almost to a boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, add the cornstarch and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix to combine. Add the egg and mix well.
3. When the milk is almost boiling remove it from heat. With the stand mixer on low, slowly add the hot milk down the side of the bowl.
5. Remove the mixture from the heat and pass through a fine mesh sieve into a medium mixing bowl. Let cool for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
6. Cut the butter into four pieces and whisk into the pastry cream until it is smooth.
7. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap onto the surface of the pastry cream. Refrigerate until cold or up to 5 days covered.
8. In a small bowl measure the water and then sprinkle with gelatin. Let sit for 5 minutes.
1/3 c. water
1/3 c. sugar
2 t. lemon extract
1. In a saucepan over medium high heat combine the water and sugar.
2. Bring to a boil stirring to dissolve the sugar.
3. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes. Add in the lemon extract and mix well.
4. Put the syrup in a small bowl with a lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
2 baked 8 inch lemon chiffon cakes
1 recipe pastry cream filling
1/3 c. simple syrup
1 pound strawberries
1 c. blueberries
1 c. sliced mango