This week #SundaySupper is a little different. We are still sharing delicious recipes to enjoy with our families, but this time the recipes are from Katie Workman’s cookbook, The Mom 100 Cookbook. Katie Workman was nice enough to send us copies of her new cookbook and she’s giving me one to give to my readers as well! The cookbook is wonderful. There are five fun and tasty solutions to getting your kids to each just about everything. There’s a story to go along with all of the recipes, easy to follow instructions, a photo of each recipe, and suggestions for different variations. There’s even a place on the side of each recipe for what the kids can do to help and what can be made ahead of time.
Our theme for #SundaySupper was Portable Recipes for Getting Together with Friends. When we have get togethers I often bring along the appetizers or desserts. Being that it’s summer and the farmer’s market is open, I wanted to bring something healthy but still delicious. I soon came across Katie’s recipe for Japanese Restaurant Salads. I love the classic orange ginger dressing that goes on top of salads at Japanese restaurants so I couldn’t wait to make this dish.
I went to the farmer’s market early Friday morning and bough mixed greens and cucumbers. I had carrots at home already so I didn’t bother buying any of those. There are two things I really enjoy about the farmer’s market. The first is the fresh, organic produce. The second is the people that I see when I go. So many of my friends and acquaintances go to the farmer’s market weekly and it’s nice to be able to catch up while we’re shopping.
This salad was easy to make and only took a few minutes. I washed the vegetables and tossed them together. To transport the salad I threw it in a large plastic bag with a twist tie. This helps to not crush the lettuce leaves, it reuses a bag I had in the house, and I can just throw it away when I’m done. The dressing turned out to be a beautiful orange color and it tasted fresh and gingery with a hint of the miso and sesame oil. I put the dressing in a glass Pyrex container with a lid and I was ready to go!
Japanese Restaurant Salad (slightly adapted from Katie Workman’s The Mom 100 Cookbook)
6 c. mixed greens
1/2 c. peeled, shredded carrots
1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
For the dressing:
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 (2 inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 shallot, minced
3 T. rice vinegar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 T. sesame oil
1 t. sugar
4 t. miso paste
1 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1. In a large bowl toss the mixed greens, shredded carrots, and cucumbers.
2. To make the dressing combine the carrots, ginger, shallot, rice vinegar, vegetable oil, sesame oil, and sugar in a food processor. Blend until combined.
3. Add in the miso, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of water. Blend until the dressing is fairly smooth.
4. Place the salad into 4 bowls and top with dressing.
One lucky reader will win a copy of The Mom 100 Cookbook! This giveaway is open to readers in the US only. This giveaway will run through June 29, 2012. Winners will be chosen at random and will be contacted via e-mail on June 30. To enter tell me which of the recipes below you would most want to make (mandatory entry). To earn a second entry like Katie Workman on Facebook. To earn a third entry follow Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks on Google Friends Connect. To earn a fourth entry follow Katie Workman on Twitter.
Looking for more portable recipes? Check out all of the other wonderful recipes for #SundaySupper!
- Soups and Salads:
- Japanese Restaurant Salad ~ Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup served in Bread Bowls ~ Daily Dish Recipes
- Main Dish Recipes:
- Caribbean Warm Spice Chicken with Cinnamon Ginger & Paprika ~ Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Fresh Mozzarella Pasta Casserole ~ The Meltaways
- Pulled Pork ~ Momma’s Meals
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas ~ In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Teriyaki Skewers ~ Messy Baker Blog
- Garlic, Lemon, and Rosemary Roasted Chicken ~ Family Foodie
- Sauteed Corn Spinach, Bacon and Scallions ~ Comfy Cuisine
- Turkey Lasagna ~ Meal Planning Magic
- One Pot Arroz con Pollo ~ Juanita’s Cocina
- Sesame Noodles ~ Big Bear’s Wife
- Honey Ginger Soy Chicken ~ The Weekend Gourmet
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares ~ Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Rum laced Fudgy One Pot Brownies ~ Baker Street
- Bacon & Dried Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies ~ Chocolate Moosey
- Birthday Chocolate Cupcakes ~ Basic and Delicious
- Simple Vanilla Cake ~ Mrs. Mama Hen
- Aaron E’s Favorite Apple Coffee Cake ~ Soni’s Food for Thought
- Wine Pairing to complement our recipes ~ ENOFYLZ
Connect with Katie Workman, Author of The Mom 100 Cookbook:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katieworkman100
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/katieworkman100
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/katieworkman100
- Website: www.themom100.com
- Buy The Mom 100 Cookbook
Join us this week! We’ll share these fabulous recipes and want you to share yours with us! The fun starts at 3pm EST and lasts all afternoon until dinner time and sometimes beyond. All you have to do is follow the hashtag #sundaysupper on twitter or follow along on TweetChat. Our #SundaySupper Pinterest Board will be filled with wonderful Simple and Fresh Summer Recipes. There is always room Around the Family Table for you.